Other names: Gerald John James
Locations in this story: Marnull, DorsetTarrant Keynston, DorsetShaftesbury, DorsetPoole, DorsetWoolcotts Farm, Sherborne Causeway, Shaftesbury PalestineEgyptHartgrove, Fontmell Magna, Shaftesbury, DorsetMotcombe, Shaftesbury, DorsetBlandford, Dorset
Story: Gerald John James Andrews was born in Marnull, Dorset, on 2nd July 1894 and baptised there on 12 Aug 1894 the son of Edwin Walter Andrews and Lucy Beatrice Andrews (née Day). He lived his early life at Dairy House, Tarrant Keynston, Dorset. He enlisted as a Territorial on 9th February 1911 and joined the 'C' Squadron of the Dorset (Queen's Own) Yeomanry (Service No. 508). He attended regular annual training camps but was embodied at the outbreak of WW1 on 5th August 1914 eventually becoming a Corporal. He was discharged having completed his service time with his unit on 8th February 1916 but he re-enlisted and joined the Royal Engineers as a Driver (Service No. 152684). (His family have advised that he had sent postcards from the Palestine/Egyptian area whilst serving with the Royal Engineers and was en route returning to the UK during Apr 1919.) On his discharge he was awarded the Victory and British War Medals. By the 1921 Census he was living with his parents at a farm near Hartgrove, Fontmell Magna, Shaftesbury, Dorset, helping his father on the farm. He married Ruby Ada Lear at Motcombe, Shaftesbury, Dorset, on 29th Aug 1929. By the time of the 1939 Register he was living at Woolcotts Farm, Sherborne Causeway, Shaftesbury, Dorset, described as a Dairy Farmer. He died in Blandford Hospital, Blandford, Dorset, on 21st January 1966 and was buried at St. Mary's Church, Motcombe.