Other names: Edith Hilda
Locations in this story: Salisbury, WiltshireChelsea, MiddlesexCross House, Fontmell Magna, Shaftesbury, DorsetGaunts House, Hinton Parva, Wimborne, DorsetWimborne, Dorset
Story: Edith Hilda Hamilton-Gordon was born on 22nd July 1881 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, the daughter of Douglas George Hamilton-Gordon and Edith Annie Hamilton-Gordon (née Bullock). She lived most of her early life in Chelsea, Middlesex, where, on 12th December 1906, she married Sir Richard Fitzgerald Glyn, 4th Baronet. They went on to have five children. By 1911 they were living at Cross House, Fontmell Magna, Shaftesbury, Dorset, from where Lady Edith served with the British Red Cross (Voluntary Aid Detachment) from January 1916 until March 1919. She was a member of the Blandford 40 Dorset Working Party organizing the provision of additional clothing to troops. It is recorded that much of the personal items she made or sent were from her own material. By the 1939 Register she was living with her husband at Gaunts House, Hinton Parva, Wimborne, Dorset. She died in The Victoria Hospital, Wimborne, on 10th June 1957 and was buried at Hinton Parva on 14th June 1957.