Other names: Sidney Wilfred
Locations in this story: Shaftesbury, DorsetIndiaOxley Wood Road, Wolverhampton, StaffordshireSt. James, ShaftesburyLayton Lane, St. James, Shaftesbury
Story: Sidney Wilfred Tucker was born in Shaftesbury, Dorset, on 12th February 1894 and baptised at St. James' Church on 11th March 1894, the son of Gideon Tucker and Mary Elizabeth Tucker (née Foot). He lived with his parents at 25 St. James Street, Shaftesbury, throughout his early life and trained as a Tailor. He had enlisted with the 2/4th Battalion of the Dorsetshire Regiment on 28th February 1911 as a Territorial (Reserve) Soldier (Service No. 1363) and attended annual training camps. He was embodied on 4th August 1914 and joined his regiment in India. On 23rd May 1916 he was discharged having completed the terms of his engagement. He then went back to 25 St. James Street, Shaftesbury. On 1st August 1916 he re-enlisted with the 4th Battalion of the Dorsetshire Regiment (Service No. 4562). He was again posted to India, being transferred to the 29th Reserve Battalion as a Corporal (Service No. 202490). He was eventually discharged on 3rd January 1920 and went to live at 6 Layton Lane, Shaftesbury. He was awarded the British War Medal. He later applied for the Territorial Force War Medal in 1926 but the result of this application is not known. He married Florence A. Thompson in Shaftesbury in 1930 and they appear to have had one child. By the 1939 Register he had moved to 178 Oxley Wood Road, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, where he is described as a Tailor (Journeyman). He died in Wolverhampton in 1977. Three of Sidney's brothers served in the war: Victor Douglas (b.1888) with the Machine Gun Corps, George Farley Tucker, who was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal while serving with the Somerset Light Infantry and Howard (b. 1886) with the Army Service Corps.