Other names: George Reginald
Locations in this story: Guys Marsh, Cann, Shaftesbury, DorsetShaftesbury, DorsetCann, Shaftesbury, DorsetAbertillery, South WalesSt. John's Hill, ShaftesburyVictoria Street, ShaftesburySt. George's Road, Shaftesbury
Story: George Reginald Burr was born in Guys Marsh, Cann, Shaftesbury, on 21st October 1895, the son of John Burr and Elizabeth Ann Burr (née Brockway). He was living with the family at Guys Marsh in 1901 but by 1911 had moved to St. John's Hill, Shaftesbury. At the time of his enlistment on 10th February 1915 he was living in Abertillery, South Wales, and gave his occupation as a coal miner. He joined the South Wales Borderers as Private (Service No. 21372) but on 5th March 1915 he was discharged due to defective eyesight. He was issued with an armband on 31st January 1916 which signified he was a volunteer yet to be mobilised. On 14th September 1917 he again enlisted, this time with the Royal Navy (no mention of his eye problems) and joined HMS Vivid II (Service No. K45909). He was discharged on 22nd September 1922 and was awarded the Victory and British War medals. He married Frances Emily Sharp in Shaftesbury, Dorset, on 3rd November 1923 and they went on to have eleven children. The 1939 Register shows the family living at 2 Bellevue Terrace, Victoria Street, Shaftesbury. From here they moved to 51 St Georges Road, Shaftesbury, where George died on 12th December 1952. His burial service at St Rumbolds Church, Cann, was followed by his interment at The Mampitts Road Cemetery on 17th December 1952. His brother, Job Burr, also served in the conflict. George's name was also on the Roll of Honour published in the Nov 1918 issue of the St. James' Church Parish magazine.