Other names: Charles Laver
Locations in this story: Bishops Caundle, DorsetEast Knoyle, WiltshireOborne, Sherborne, DorsetEgyptSherborne, DorsetWeymouth, DorsetDorchester, Dorset
Story: Charles Laver Stickland was born in Bishops Caundle, Dorset, on 9 Aug 1892 and baptised there on 9 Oct 1892 the son of John Stickland and Mary Anne Stickland (nee Laver). He spent his early life in Brown Street, Bishops Caundle and later at Summerleaze, East Knoyle, Wiltshire. By 1911 the family had moved to Oborne, Sherborne, Dorset. Charles had enlisted on 14 Sep 1914 with the Dorset (Queen's Own) Yeomanry as a Private (Service No. 1091). He was posted to Egypt on 22 Apr 1915 and joined the Imperial Camel Corps (part of the Corps of Hussars) (Service No. 50087). Whilst serving he received wounds and was finally discharged on 27 Apr 1919 and awarded the Silver War Badge No. B249313 as well as the Victory and British War Medals and 1915 Star. His marriage to Lilian Rose Vickery was registered in Sherborne, Dorset, during 1924. By the time of the 1939 Register he was living at 12 Ludbourne Road, Sherborne, Dorset, working as a Glover's Labourer. Later he had moved to Weymouth, Dorset, and his death was recorded at Demars Hospital, Dorchester, Dorset, on 11 Feb 1964. His brother, Albert Edward Stickland, also served in the conflict.