Albert Edward Burden

Surname: Burden
Other names: Albert Edward
Other people in this story:
James John Rideout Burden
Sarah Ann Burden (nee Elliott)
Lilian Mary Watts
Mildred Alice Fisher
James John Burden
Victor Thomas Burden
William Ernest Burden
Locations in this story:
Guys Marsh, Shaftesbury, Dorset
Portland, Dorset
Stour Provost, Nr. Shaftesbury, Dorset
Bristlington, Bristol
Bedminster, Bristol
Long Ashton, Bristol
Norton, Somerset

Albert Edward Burden was born in Guys Marsh, Shaftesbury, Dorset, on 10 Jan 1890 and baptised at St. James' Church, Shaftesbury, on 2 Feb 1890 the son of James John Rideout Burden and Sarah Ann Burden (nee Elliott).  He lived all his early life in Guys Marsh until by 1911 he was boarding out in Portland, Dorset, working as a Wheelwright.  He married Lilian Mary Watts at the Parish Church in Stour Provost, Nr. Shaftesbury, Dorset, on 6 Nov 1914 and moved to 30 Harrow Road, Bristlington, Bristol.   He enlisted with the Somerset Light Infantry as a Private on 18 Nov 1915 (Service No. 24756) but was placed on reserve until embodied on 7 Apr 1916 and immediately transferred to the 13th Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment (Service No. 30568).  He also served with the 18th Battalion but it is not recorded in which theatre of war.  He was again transferred on 13 Dec 1916 but this time to the Royal Engineers as a Sapper (Service No. 217051).  He was discharged on 21 Nov 1917 as being unfit for further service and awarded the Silver War Badge No.B108364.  He was also awarded the Victory and British War Medals.  His wife, Lilian, died in 1919 and was brought back for burial to Stour Provost on 6 Jan 1919.  Albert re-married Mildred Alice Fisher at the Parish Church in Bedminster, Bristol, on 24 Jun 1922.   By the time of the 1939 Register he was living at 'Malvery', Headley Lane, Bishopsworth, Long Ashton, Bristol, working as a Builders' Contractor.   He died in Norton, Somerset, on 3 Dec 1949.   His brothers, James John, Victor Thomas and William Ernest Burden, also served in the conflict and all their names appeared on a Roll of Honour published in the St. James' Church Parish Magazine in Nov 1918.


Links to related web content / sources: